Kia ora koutou birthing community,
Our team here at the Helensville Birthing Centre would like to send this message to you as an update on the steps we are taking to do our part in the collective fight against COVID-19.
As a nation we are currently at Alert Level 4 — Eliminate. We understand the considerable increase of stress, anxiety and uncertainty that you may be feeling in this unprecedented time. We would like to reassure our birthing community that all services from the Helensville Birthing Centre will continue to be available to you throughout all COVID-19 Alert Levels.
To ensure we are able to continue providing our services at all Levels we have had to implement a number of new ways of working. These changes have been made in keeping with current best practice and public health recommendations.
• We are open and available for primary birthing care.
• Postnatal stays continue to be available for women who birth here at Helensville Birthing Centre, at home or in hospital.
• Women with potential exposure or positive diagnosis of COVID-19 are unable to come to Helensville Birthing Centre.
• All women and support people will need to be screened for COVID-19 risks before entering the Centre.
• We are following national guidance on visitor policy, this provides for one support person during labour and birth. No other visitors for the duration of stay.
• Additional cleaning measures are in place in all areas of our Centre.
• We have and will continue to have adequate supplies of personal protective equipment (PPE) available to midwives and staff to use as appropriate.
• Only essential personnel will be able to enter the Centre.
• LMC midwives are encouraged to reduce face-to-face visits and instead stay in contact with clients via phone during their stay with us.
• Lactation consultant appointments are still available, via phone or digital platforms.
• Breastfeeding peer supporters are available for online and over the phone support only.
• Pregnancy and parenting classes will continue to run however in a digital format and if you have booked for these you will be contacted.
We do not underestimate the sacrifice that comes with some of these changes and we ask for your support and understanding as we do everything we can to best protect our birthing mamas, their babies and our team of dedicated staff.
Much aroha to you. Stay home, stay safe. You are not alone. We are all in this together.
The Helensville Birthing Centre staff and board.